Tuesday, January 27, 2015

SAG 2015: Very Late Reaction

Awards Daily SAG Prediction Contest

I don't mean to brag, but for this case allow me to, just a bit.  Okay?



Yearly, AwardsDaily do this sort of prediction contest and I join everytime.  This year I joined again and I got 5/5 of the film categories correctly.  Let me rundown the categories one by one.

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)
Arquette is Oscar bound and she is the clear frontrunner.  I do not see anyone beating her anymore.  The closest to an upset for this category is Emma Stone (Birdman) or probably uhmm... Meryl Streep (Into the Woods) because she is after all Meryl Streep.  But really, this is Arquette's to lose and maybe come Oscar time she will have her speech memorized.
If I were a SAG voter: I'd probably pick Arquette as well.

Best Supporting Actor: JK Simmons (Whiplash)
Great speech giving kudos to every actor in the film.  That's a classy act.  Also, like Arquette, Simmons is bound to win that Oscar though there is still a chance that Norton (Birdman) can pull off an upset, which is not that farfetch, methinks.  I do sometimes think that Simmons is a co-lead in the film, so sometimes I like Hawke's performance more.
If I were a SAG voter: Edward Norton (Birdman) since I really think that Simmons is Lead.  But if I get convinced that he is supporting, then Simmons gets my vote.

Best Actress: Julianne Moore (Still Alice)
Another great speech.  And Juli looks really happy and radiant.  Now with Aniston out of the picture, I see Moore finally, and let me stress that out, FINALLY, Moore is going home the winner.
If I were a SAG voter:  Given the list of nominees, my vote goes to Rosamund Pike.  However if Moore is nominated for Maps to the Stars, then she gets my vote.

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything)
Hollywood really is gaga over actors in biopics much so if the character is an alcoholic or has a disease or something.  So him winning here did not surprise me at all (and I predicted it *bragging*) That said, Redmayne was great in the film and a part of me says that he deserves it.  Is it the best performance of the bunch?  Maybe not, but the performance is Oscar worthy.
If I were a SAG voter:  Keaton fans are gonna hate me but I do think Redmayne is better.

Best Ensemble: Birdman
No real surprise here since the film, after all, is an ensemble work.  But it got me worried for Boyhood's BP chances in the Oscars.  Birdman now is gunning for the top prize as well. There may be a split coming, Birdman takes BP, Linklater takes best director.  That could happen.  But I do hope Boyhood takes it.
If I were a SAG voter: Birdman gets my vote as well, since it is really an ensemble piece after all.

No comments: