Saturday, January 24, 2015

2015 Film Log #1: Laggies (2014)

Keira Knightley in "Laggies"

Laggies

Directed by Lynn Shelton

I know I promised that I will make the blog more personal and not restrict to posting about movies that I see, but I'd also like the blog to monitor the hours I spend watching.  So every now and then I will be posting REACTIONS not REVIEWS to films/shows that I see and albums/songs that I listen to.  That entails me ranking them probably by the year end, as tradition.  Also me giving letter grades to them.  Anyway.  Enough with the explaining.

"Laggies" is quite a charming film.  It is not groundbreaking or anything. but what it lacks in innovation, it makes up with charm and not to mention that Keira Knightley gave a wonderful performance.  It was nice seeing her, in her prime, acting as douche-y, bum-y woman.  2014 was a great year for her and this is one of her bests, to date.  Sam Rockwell was good as well.  It was nice to see him quite loose than usual.  But really it was a showcase of Knightley's comic timing, and indeed it was.  It's a shame that her comic works last year did not get the attention it deserved, not even in the Golden Globes ( I would have her nominated for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical in "Begin Again".  After all that film was a comedy and a musical and she was great in it).

The story was banal yet at times quirky, which made it palatable.  There were also moments of wit that I quite liked.  The mixbag of quirky and cliche characters were okay at best.  It was funny and witty enough for me to take in the sap and the sometimes cliche moments.  But all in all, it was a solid entertaining film.  B-

No comments: