Friday, January 30, 2015

Kreuzweg (2014)


Kreuzweg (Stations of the Cross)
Directed by Dietrich Bruggemann

"Stations of the Cross" is a story about a girl whose life followed what happened to Jesus Christ in the Stations of the Cross, in a modernized sans crucifixion kinda way.  It was composed of 14 cut-less, predominantly static shots to represent each station.

The film was intriguing at first and left me guessing at first, but as the story unfolded it became chilling in a good (heck great) way, scary weird and was just awesome.  I did not know that it was going to be like that and I loved the movie for that.  It was a different and original take on sacrifice, religion, family and faith.  I just could not get those last stations out of my head!  It was really that good.  Not to mention the haunting performance of the Lea van Acken as Maria.  But it was Francziska Weisz who gave the best in cast performance as Maria's mother.

The structure and film reminded me of Michael Haneke, only with more sympathy for the characters, much like, say, Amour, only with Catholic fanatics as cast.  It was deceptively simple in form but it is that, that is missing in most films nowadays.  I was just blown away.  Truly it was one of the year's bests.  A+

No comments: